If you want to switch to a different network and are looking for an answer to “Are Boost Mobile Phones Unlocked?”If yes, then you have stumbled upon the right article.
After being a long-time customer of Boost Mobile, I decided to switch to T-Mobile. However, during the switching process, I discovered my Boost Mobile phone was locked.
Luckily, the Boost Mobile customer care helped me with the Unlocking process, and I could switch easily.
So, with this article, let me share my experience of unlocking Boost Mobile phones and answer your question, “Are Boost Mobile phones Unlocked?” with other relevant information.
Are Boost Mobile Phones Unlocked?
To answer your question, “Are Boost Mobile phones unlocked? ” no, they are not.
If a Boost mobile user wants to switch their network provider, they will not be able to use their free government phone or a bought one from the Boost store. However, the phone can be unlocked to work with other network operators.
To unlock the Boost mobile phone, the user can contact Boost directly or use a third-party service. After the phone is unlocked, you can use it with other carriers that support your phone’s network technology.
After the merger with T-Mobile, Boost Mobile started operating under the GSM network. Before that, its device used to work with the Sprint CDMA network, which means that, except for the newer models, older devices cannot work with GSM networks.
After unlocking, the phone can be used wherever the user wants. However, it is not guaranteed to work with all carriers after unlocking.
Therefore, it’s important to check the carriers it’ll support before starting the unlocking process. Newer models are built to be compatible with CDMA or GSM networks, so users don’t need to worry about carriers because most are compatible with all network carriers.
How to Unlock Your Boost Phone?
Now that you know the answer to “Are Boost Mobile Phones Unlocked,” let’s learn the unlocking process.
Unlocking your Boost mobile phone is an easy process whether you plan to switch to a different US carrier or use an international SIM card.
All you need to do is follow the steps below.
- First, check if you meet the eligibility criteria for Unlocking Boost Mobile phones. It is usually based on using Boost service for at least 12 months.
- Once eligible, call Boost Customer Care at 1-888-266-7848 and tell them you want to unlock your Boost Mobile phone.
- The representative will ask you a few questions such as your identity, purpose of switching and your device IMEI number (to find, dial *#06#)
- Once you have raised your request, Boost Mobile will review your application and provide you with an unlocking code.
- Boost Mobile will provide you with instructions on how to enter the code into your device to complete the unlocking process.
Finally, try inserting a SIM card from a different carrier. If you can call or use mobile data, your Boost Mobile phone is unlocked.
Boost Mobile Unlock Policy
Boost Mobile allows customers to unlock their phones, but there are specific requirements that must be met. Make sure you know the requirements before unlocking your Boost mobile phone.
- Check if your Boost mobile phone is eligible for SIM unlocking. Phones manufactured after February 2015 are usually eligible.
- Ensure your phone isn’t reported lost or stolen or flagged as ineligible.
- Keep the phone active on your account for at least 12 months.
- Make sure your account is active and in good standing without any unpaid bills.
- Confirm that your phone is locked to the Boost network.
- Check whether the 12-month active rule applies to you, as it may not apply to military personnel(they can raise unlocking requests anytime).
If your phone meets these requirements, you can call customer service to request the Boost mobile unlock code.
Boost Eligibility Requirements to Unlock a Phone
Well, the answer to the question “Are Boost Mobile Phones Unlocked?” is yes, and they can be unlocked easily. However, there are eligibility requirements you must fulfill first.
Here’s a list of the general requirements that must be met to unlock your phone:
- Ensure you have used your phone with Boost Mobile for at least 12 months.
- Ensure a payment has been made within 90 days before the 12-month activation anniversary.
- Your phone must be SIM unlockable (most phones are).
- Your phone can’t be reported lost or stolen.
- Your Boost Mobile account is in good standing (i.e. no unpaid bills).
- Your phone is from Boost Mobile (Boost can only unlock its phones/devices).
Compatible Networks for Boost Phones
Boost Mobile is one of the leading service providers in the United States, but if you are reading our guide on “Are Boost Mobile Phones Unlocked,” you have decided to switch from the network.
The latest Boost Mobile phones are compatible with GSM networks. The best option for you will be switching to T-Mobile, as Boost Mobile uses the T-Mobile GSM network.
You can also switch to an MNVO service provider working on T-Mobile’s network. However, before switching, check network coverage, plans, etc.
How do I know if my Boost Mobile phone is unlocked?
If your Boost Mobile phone is unlocked, you should be able to insert a SIM card from another carrier and use it on their network.
Can I bring my own phone to Boost Mobile?
Yes, Boost Mobile allows customers to use their compatible unlocked phone on their network.
Does Boost Mobile have a contract?
No, Boost Mobile is a prepaid wireless provider and does not require customers to sign a contract.