A free government iPhone 8? Doesn’t it sound exciting?
Since I received one recently, I am thrilled to share with you my experience regarding how I got a free iPhone 8 from the government without spending a single penny.
Although an old model, an iPhone for free is a good idea; if you need one, please keep reading how to get an iPhone 8 at zero cost.
This article has everything you need to know, including the eligibility, documentation needed, application, etc., to acquire a free government iPhone 8 successfully.
So, without further delay, let’s begin.
Does Government Offers Free iPhone 8?
Yes. The government offers free iPhone 8 through its various assistance programs to help financially weak people have access to telecommunication services.
In the next section, we have discussed the top 4 government programs through which you can get a free iPhone 8.
Top 4 Free Government iPhone 8 Programs
The top 4 free government iPhone 8 programs include the following.
Lifeline assistance is a government support program established by the Federal Communications Commission in 1985 to provide financially distressed people access to telephone services.
The program helps low-income people who cannot afford to buy phone services by providing discounted or free wireless services.
The program offers qualified people a $9.25 monthly discount on their phone bills and a $30.34 discount to low-income tribal people.
Lifeline’s participating wireless service providers offer these discounts. Some Lifeline providers also offer free smartphones in specific states, and you can get a free government iPhone 8 through this program.
Affordable Connectivity Program
The FCC established the Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) program to help people access affordable technology during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Later, the EBB program was replaced by the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) in December 2021. The new ACP offers similar benefits as EBB on a larger scale.
The program discounts telephone services by $30 monthly, and this discount is up to $75 for qualified tribal land households.
ACP also offers a one-time discount of $100 to help eligible low-income people purchase internet-using devices such as laptops, desktop computers, and tablets with a contribution of $10-$50 towards the device’s price.
Some ACP providers also offer free smartphones, including the government iPhone 8.
National Lifeline Association
The National Lifeline Association is a non-profit organization providing financial assistance to low-income people to help them pay for their phone service.
The organization also offers free phones to low-income people, and an iPhone 8 is one of them.
Connect America Fund
The Connect America Fund is a government-aided program that discounts phone services in rural areas. The program also offers free phones to low-income households in rural areas, and you may get a free government iPhone 8 through this program.
How To Get Free Government iPhone 8 2023
As mentioned, you can get a free government iPhone 8 by qualifying for one assistance program offering free phones to low-income people.
Out of the programs listed above, the Lifeline and ACP are the most prevalent and available in most states of the country.
Hence, we would look closely at the application for these programs.
The whole process of receiving the free government iPhone 8 through the Lifeline/ACP requires you to complete these simple steps.
- Find out the wireless providers in your state that offer free phones through the Lifeline/ACP.
- Check your eligibility to apply for the Lifeline/ACP program.
- Collect your necessary eligibility documents to prove your qualifications.
- Apply for the Lifeline or ACP program.
All of these steps are discussed in detail in further sections.
Eligibility For Free iPhone 8
You must be eligible to apply for the Lifeline or ACP government support programs to get a free iPhone 8.
To qualify for these programs, you must meet the below requirements.
- You must be at least 18 or older or an emancipated minor.
- You must be a citizen of the state where you apply for the Lifeline or the ACP program.
Additionally, you must meet one of the lifeline/ACP-specific eligibility criteria below.
- Your annual household income should not exceed 135% of the federal poverty guidelines to qualify for the Lifeline program.
- Your income must be at or below 200% of the federal poverty guideline to be eligible for the ACP program.
Suppose you failed to qualify for the programs on your income basis. In that case, you may be eligible for the Lifeline or ACP if you or any other family member receives the following government support program benefits.
- Food Stamps/ SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, Children (WIC)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
- Free and Reduced-Price School Lunch Program
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- Head Start (only families meeting the income qualifying standard).
- Receive a federal Pell Grant in the existing award year.
It is critical to note that if you are eligible for the Lifeline program or already receive its benefits, you are qualified to apply for the ACP program.
You must have valid government documents to prove your Lifeline or ACP program eligibility to get a free government iPhone 8.
Here is the list of the documents based on your eligibility you apply for the program.
Proof of income
The documents below will help you prove your income below the federal poverty guidelines if you apply for the Lifeline or ACP as a low-income earner.
- Current income statement
- Paycheck stub from employer
- child support award
- Divorce decree
- Retirement/ pension statement of benefits
- Social security statement of benefits
- Unemployment or worker’s compensation statement
- Veteran’s statement of benefits
Proof of program participation
If you apply for the Lifeline or ACP on the basis of your participation in any other government assistance program, you can check for the availability of the following documents.
- Government approval letter
- Program benefit verification letter
- Program benefit award
- Statement of program benefits
You may need additional documents to prove your identity, age, address, etc. The following documents will help you verify the same during the application process.
- Birth certificate
- U.S. driver license
- Government or State ID
- US Military ID
- Utility bill
- Mortgage or lease statement
- Permanent Resident Card or Green Card
- Certificate of U.S. Citizenship or Naturalization
- Certificate of emancipation (if emancipated minor)
How Can I Apply for A Free Government iPhone 8?
The government has provided an easy application process to ensure people can comfortably apply for these programs.
You can apply for the Lifeline/ ACP program online and offline if eligible.
You can apply for these programs online through the National Verifier.
Below, you have steps to apply for a lifeline.
- Visit “https://nv.fcc.gov/lifeline.”
- Select your state.
- Click on the “Get Started” menu.
- You will see Lifeline’s National Verifier application form.
- Fill up the form.
- Upload your eligibility documents.
- Review your form and finally submit it.
- Wait for the National Verifier’s approval.
Here are the steps to apply online for the ACP program.
- Visit “https://www.getinternet.gov/apply.”
- Select the “Apply” icon.
- You will be directed to the National Verifier application form.
- Fill up the form with your valid details.
- Upload your eligibility documents.
- Please review your application and submit it.
- Wait for the approval.
Once the National Verifier approves your application for the Lifeline/ ACP, you must reach out to your service provider to subscribe for their Lifeline or ACP benefits and get a free government iPhone 8.
Alternatively, you can apply for the Lifeline or ACP via the mail.
For this, you must take the print of the Lifeline or ACP application form, fill it out, attach your eligibility documents, and send them to the respective Program’s Support Center.
- Lifeline, You can get the Lifeline application form at “lifelinesupport.org/wp-content/uploads/documents/get-lifeline/LI_Application_NVstates.pdf.”
- You must send your application to USAC, Lifeline Support Centre, P.O. Box 9100, Wilkes-Barre, PA, 18773.
- For ACP, Please get the ACP form at “https://www.affordableconnectivity.gov/wp-content/uploads/ACP-Application-Form-English.pdf.”
- While applying for the ACP, it is recommended to include the household worksheet available at “https://www.affordableconnectivity.gov/wp-content/uploads/lifeline/images/ACP-Household-Worksheet-English.pdf.”
- Complete these two forms and send the application package with the eligibility documents to ACP Support Center, P.O. Box 9100, Wilkes-Barre, PA, 18773.
Benefits Of Getting A Free iPhone 8 Government Phone
A free government iPhone 8 is a benefit since you enjoy the following benefits when you receive one
A free iPhone means you have saved your money equal to the purchase price of the iPhone 8, which allows you to use this saved finance elsewhere.
Access to technology
A free government iPhone 8 brings with it a wealth of technology to enjoy. It allows Internet browsing, using social media applications, clicking pictures, watching videos on YouTube, etc.
You can even shop online on e-commerce sites with a free smartphone.
With a free phone, you can stay connected with your family and friends from any part of the country.
Access to educational sources
A smartphone allows you to access powerful online educational tools and resources, helping you to improve your skills.
You can access emergency health services with a phone in hand whenever necessary.
Although a little older, the iPhone 8 is a reliable model with solid build-up, good battery life, and regular software updates from Apple.
Comparison Table of iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus
The government assistance program lets you get the variant iPhone 8 and Plus. So you must be wondering which one is better; for that, check out our comparison table.
|Feature||iPhone 8||iPhone 8 Plus|
|Display size||Front Camera||5.5 inches|
|Display resolution||1334 x 750 pixels||1920 x 1080 pixels|
|Processor||A11 Bionic chip||A11 Bionic chip|
|RAM||2 GB||3 GB|
|Storage||64 GB, 128 GB, 256 GB||64 GB, 128 GB, 256 GB|
|Rear Camera||12 MP||12 MP + 12 MP|
|Front camera||7 MP||7 MP|
|Battery||1821 mAh||2691 mAh|
|Operating system||iOS 11||iOS 11|
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I get a free government iPhone 8?
Yes. You can get a free government iPhone 8 through many government assistance programs such as the Lifeline and ACP.
How long will it take to receive a free iPhone 8?
The time to receive a free iPhone 8 depends on your shipping address and provider. It may take 5-7 business days. If it takes longer, you can contact your provider.
Are the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus good?
Yes. Although Apple iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus are older, they are good and reliable models.
Can I apply for my state’s Lifeline and ACP simultaneously?
Yes. You can apply for your state’s Lifeline and ACP simultaneously.